A nice thing to receive

Back at the beginning of the year I made a donation to the Friends of the Arthur Conan Doyle Collection at the Toronto Public Library.

Now I make a fair number of donations to charities etc. and I'm accustomed to them largely going unacknowledged beyond an automated email (perhaps via PayPal). I don't mind this as I think charities should do better things with the money they are sent than spending time and money to thank personally the people who send it in (and thus spend some of that donation in the process).

You can therefore imagine my surprise when I received a receipt and thank you letter from Cliff Goldfarb of the aforementioned collection to thank me for my donation. It was a standard letter which he had taken the trouble to personalise post-printing. He was kind enough to express a positive opinion of my biographies of Arthur Conan Doyle and also expressed a hope that I should visit some day.

It rather made my day.

Written by Alistair Duncan
Buy my books here

Comments

Popular Posts