UPDATED - Sherlock Special Photo - That went well...

Well, we were recently given a promo photo for the Sherlock special...


The build up to its release was typical with the subtle (or not) teasing working the fans into a frenzy. However, when the image was released, the reaction was mixed.

Some went into orgasmic shock and others were really irritated. The irritated camp, following such a build up, were expecting a trailer. A photo was never going to be enough.

The Sherlock team need to tread carefully. You cannot keep a flame alive with only the occasional fanning (no pun intended). I'm seeing an increasing number of fans growing uninterested in what the BBC and Sherlock team put out by way of publicity. There's a growing attitude of 'when it's on I'll watch it but don't bother me in the meantime'.

For what it's worth, I like the photo and it makes me look forward to the special even more.

Now bloody hurry up and get it on screen.

UPDATE - Well, we now know from Mark Gatiss that there will be another tease just after midnight UK time. Almost certainly a trailer. Let's see.


Written by Alistair Duncan
Buy my books here

Comments

  1. I love the photo. Hoping there will be one show at least set in period.
    Hope it's not a dream sequence, but I am sure I will like what ever it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well they did say it was a stand-alone episode. So therefore it's not likely to be any kind of dream sequence. I think if they did that they'd be laughed at.

      Delete
  2. There is nothing special about this photo to built up for its release, especially as we've seen photos from the set. While I have no doubt that Cumberbatch and Freeman would be great period Holmes and Watson--imagine them in one of Granada's more faithful scripts--I am really worried what Moffat and Gatiss have up their sleeves. With their tendency to overdue the wink, wink, nudge, nudge, I afraid we'll get an over-clever meta-"Sherlock"/Doyle see-what-fanboy-geniuses-we-are script instead of a straight Victorian Sherlock Holmes mystery. I hope I'm wrong. They have yet to match the balance of "A Study in Pink", that almost perfect combination of mystery and modern-yet-timeless character study.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "With their tendency to overdue the wink, wink, nudge, nudge, I afraid we'll get an over-clever meta-"Sherlock"/Doyle see-what-fanboy-geniuses-we-are script instead of a straight Victorian Sherlock Holmes mystery. They have yet to match the balance of "A Study in Pink", that almost perfect combination of mystery and modern-yet-timeless character study."

      Oh dear, Mr O'Leary, we do agree again! What happened? This is somewhat unsettling.

      Delete
    2. Sounds like another guest post is needed ;-)

      Delete
    3. My dear Ms. Ketelsen, while I do enjoy our conflicting opinions, our infrequent accord gives me hope for this old world and for Sherlockiana. Let us hope for the best this Christmas.

      Delete
  3. "The Sherlock team need to tread carefully. You cannot keep a flame alive with only the occasional fanning (no pun intended). I'm seeing an increasing number of fans growing uninterested in what the BBC and Sherlock team put out by way of publicity. There's a growing attitude of 'when it's on I'll watch it but don't bother me in the meantime'."

    Absolutely. The teaser trailer is out now, but I've not watched it yet. I'm just not interested.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts