Review: Sherlock Holmes in a New Light

As mentioned earlier, I recently visited the Sherlock Holmes exhibition at the Museum of London. I neglected to mention what happened later.

My wife and I made our way to Covent Garden for a lovely meal at Porters Restaurant. Now this is not even remotely Sherlockian but, as the restaurant is leaving Covent Garden in January after three decades, I wanted to give it a plug. If you like pies.....click here.

About an hour or so later we made our way to the Sherlock Holmes pub (as you do) and there we bumped into Roger Johnson and Jean Upton who were entertaining Morgan Malm and Mattias Boström.

Mattias gave me a copy of the aforementioned book which I have read today. Introduced by him and translated by Morgan it is a Sherlock Holmes parody written in 1908 by a Swedish vicar who went under the pen name of Sture Stig.

Now I have a famously low boredom/tolerance threshold for pastiche/homage/parody but this one was good. I think this is partly due to it being written by a contemporary of Doyle who had a natural understanding of the time. There is consequently a level of authenticity that tends to be absent from modern efforts.

The plot revolves around an unhappy Watson who tells the book's narrator of how awful it actually was to live with Holmes and explains, via a case, that Holmes was far from perfect.

This is a limited edition of 50 copies and I have no idea how to get them but leave a comment if interested and I will try to find out more.


Written by Alistair Duncan
Buy my books here

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts